Thursday, October 24, 2013

Gene Gun

Josh came to me yesterday afternoon and told me what my project for the semester will be, and I couldn't be more excited about it.  He wants me to develop and build a low cost gene gun.  A gene gun is used to introduce new genes into plant cells faster and easier than previous methods.  Essentially, a compressed gas is used to attach a genetic material to a living organism.  This is done by coating very small (1um) gold or tungsten particles in a desired gene and shooting them at a living organism.  The gold dust penetrates the cell wall allowing the desired gene to transfect the living organism's cells.   Typically these devices are very expensive, but Josh and I believe we can produce a low cost gun for use at Phoenix College.  For my first attempt at building a low cost gene gun, I will be modifying the nozzle of a store bought water gun.  North Carolina University has used an evolved idea of the water gun with great success.  Check it out!

Outside of this project I have been learning some basic lab techniques which have been very interesting.

Gene gun in action!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark
    I am very glad to hear that you can produce a low cost gun for use at Phoenix College. I am proud of you and hope to success in your project. Gene guns are mostly applied for plant cells, but there is much potential use in animals and humans as well. Also, it has been used to deliver DNA vaccines.
    Maha Jawad

    ReplyDelete