Thursday, October 31, 2013

Not unknown anymore!

                                                                                    Today I found that my Unknown Bacteria #11 is Bacillus subtilis.  This is kind of a bummer as I was really hoping my bacteria was Bacillus cereus.  The latter bacteria causes food poisoning and is a nasty little organism.  Why I was hoping for this is beyond me.  Back to the matter at hand, Bacillus subtilis. Bacillus subtilis is a gram positive, endospore forming bacteria.  In contrast to Bacillus cereus, it has been used for healing disease such as dysentery.  Allegedly, soldiers in WWII ate camel feces as a cure for dysentery, because camel feces contains this bacteria, which is a known cure for dysentery.

I am also making progress on my gene gun project.  Most of the materials have been ordered, and tomorrow I will be going to ASU to learn how to prepare the microcarriers that will be used for the gene gun.  After that, 1.0 micron tungsten dust will be ordered, and I can start building our gun, which                                                                           can properly be called a "biolistic particle delivery                                                                                     system".

1 comment:

  1. To Mark
    It is very interesting to know that camel feces contain a bacteria used to cure for dysentery. The dysentery usually clears up after a few days and no treatment is needed, but it is important to replace any fluids that have been lost through diarrhea. However, cereus is responsible for a minority of foodborne illnesses and causing severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Thank you.
    Maha Jawad

    ReplyDelete